Methodist Health System Joint Academy Offers Education to Speed Healing for Hips, Knees and Shoulders
From the Dallas South News Wire (Methodist Health System)
The Methodist Health System Joint Academy offers vital help in preparing both mentally and physically for joint replacement surgery while offering some of the latest minimally invasive techniques to restore mobility and quality of life with less pain and faster recovery time. Reports indicate that pre-surgical education directly involving patients and answering their questions helps speed recovery and achieves enhanced outcomes.
After scheduling hip or knee replacement surgery with an independently practicing orthopedic surgeon on the Methodist medical staff, joint replacement patients are invited to participate in the free Methodist Joint Academy. In the Academy, patients receive a two-hour course from caring, expert Methodist staff members who give them a preview and overview of what to expect – step-by-step – before, during, and after surgery. Patients are invited to bring along a family member or friend.
“This works just like a seminar or workshop that allows our patients to gain a real feeling of comfort up front about the joint replacement process before it happens,” says Jennifer Tullis, orthopedic coordinator at Methodist Dallas Medical Center. “It gives us a chance to prepare our patients in every way possible so they feel at ease and informed about their treatment, get acquainted with the hospital where they’ll be, and meet some of the staff.”
Held on the hospital campus, the Joint Academy offers a comfortable learning environment with a handful of fellow patients. The one-day program includes:
· A concierge to greet and guide patients to the classroom
· Priority access to required pre-op testing (at Methodist Dallas)
· Express registration to eliminate delays on the day of surgery
· Engaging classroom instruction about what to expect from pre-op, joint replacement surgery, and recovery— taught by Methodist Joint Academy clinical specialists
· A tour of the orthopedic floor, designed specifically for the needs and comfort of joint replacement surgery patients
· Discussion with a small group of fellow joint replacement patients to build camaraderie and provide motivation and support after hip or knee surgery
· A free “uniform”– t-shirt and shorts with the Methodist Joint Academy logo
· Opportunity to meet some of the multidisciplinary health care professionals who will be involved in the patient’s care
· Free validated parking
Reports indicate that such pre-surgical education directly involving patients and answering their questions helps speed recovery and also achieves enhanced outcomes. It’s all done in a comfortable classroom setting where patients become “students.” Methodist shows them how best to regain their movement and gives them personalized service in feeling at home and ease for their stay.
“We keep the class groups small so that our Joint Academy patients get great personal attention, and have a chance to share and support one another,” says Cherie James, orthopedic coordinator at Methodist Charlton Medical Center. “We give them a great start for a speedy recovery.”
Painful hip, knee, and shoulder joints can rob a person’s freedom of movement. Methodist Health System offers complete care for patients needing surgery to replace joints damaged by injury, deformity, or degenerative diseases such as arthritis.
To learn more about the Methodist Joint Academy at Methodist Dallas Medical Center and Methodist Charlton Medical Center or find an orthopedic surgeon on the medical staff of Methodist Health System, call 214-947-0044 or 1-866-584-8104, or visit www.methodisthealthsystem.org/jointacademy
Watch and Learn: Watch these animations to learn more about orthopedic procedures www.methodisthealthsystem.org/orthopedicanimations